Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Some light reading on a cold grey day

Here it is, the second week of March, and I'm still sorting through Christmas gifts. Most family members know that I love to read, and I inevitably receive several books or bookstore gift cards throughout December and January. This is a great tradition, and I hope it never passes. The only drawback is finding the time to read so much. By the time I come home, have dinner, play with, wash, and put the kids to sleep, the last thing that I can do is concentrate on a page of words!

One of the books that I've been putting off is the "Sagas of the Icelanders", as I said, who has the time to read a magazine or small book, let alone a Saga! Well, I wish I started it sooner. This book is fantastic! I can't pronounce half of the names without butchering them, but this book is a gold mine of historical information. If you ever wanted to read about Viking history, and don't want all of the Hollywood imagery, you'll be happy with this. Many of the names and locations are historically significant to those in the Northern countries, and throughout the Baltic rim.

Many of us have ancestry from this region in the world, and it's interesting to see how the tribal differences centuries ago, helped to shape Europe and the modern difficulties that still continue, regarding languages, religion, and land claims.

Politics aside, if at any time you think you've had a difficult life and you're not being treated fairly, than read through this, to give yourself a new positive outlook on life, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment