Friday, March 25, 2011

Back to life, back to reality

I have left the lands of Mohammad and am now back in Northern Virginia, what a difference 36 hours, and eight time zones make! Dubai was an interesting experience, kind of like an enourmous sim city, or an Arab version of Las Vegas, minus copious amounts of booze and showgirls. I was impressed by the enourmous buildings and the amount of construction. During the mid 20th century, Dubai as a small port on a creek, and consisted of nothing but small clay building and walled compounds. It has certainly transformed itself into a fincncial and commercial powerhouse. The fact that is rather tolerant of others makes it a springboard for regional businesses, and an expat friendly city. My good frined, Dan and his family, have called it home for the past two years, and have a lifestyle that you won't find in the US. It may take getting used to, and the summers are unbearble, but the quality of life is second to none, and you'll have some great memories.

I wish that I had more time for sightseeing, but unfortunately, spent a majority of the time in meetings and conferences, I suppose I wasnt' sent there to play. I hope to make it back there, again, I've already developed my list of things to do. First and foremost is to finally take the desert safari that I missed. Secondly, to go skiing inside the Mall of the Emirates. I saw the mountain, but didn't get in, damned appointments!

No comments:

Post a Comment