Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not much to read...

Since my years in Germany, I 've been somewhat of a Germanophile. Living there, finding the towns that my family came from, making friends, it was hard to leave. I've always been interested in learning the history of Germany and its people, back to the beginning. I'm talking the days of the Roman Empire, and the subsequent years of the many kingdoms that made up the Holy Roman Empire. But, it seems that each and every bookstore that you visit, you don't get much of a selection to choose from. Due to frustration and impatience, I decided not to ask Barnes &  Noble why they don't stock more books about Arminius and Goethe, but to send my inquiry straight to the German Embassy in the USA. Let me know if this may help!


Dear Sir,


For as long as I can remember, I’ve enjoyed reading. I can spend hours reading a book cover to cover, and equal amount s of time in a bookstore, if time permits. Being of German descent, I am interested in the history of the places that my ancestors come from and love to look up and read of these places and their history.

However, it never fails, when I enter a bookstore or library to find a book relating to Prussian history, German economy or the Henseatic league, I’m hit with shelf after shelf or books about World War II or East Germany under communism. I believe that it is important for people to learn about the tragedies that occurred in Germany during the 20th century, but I’m also upset that a fifty year period has overshadowed a country and culture that goes back thousands of years. Why can’t a person, interested in Germany, find a book about Arminius, the leader of a Germanic tribe that defeated the Roman Legions at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, or about Gutenburg, the inventor of the printing press?

Germany and the German speaking people have brought art, music, invention, and culture to the world for centuries. Many American foods, drinks and traditions originate from places that Germans inhabit. Nearly 60% of the population of the United States can trace their ancestry back to a German speaking land or person, don’t they deserve to k now more about where they are from than the dark years of World War II and communism? Sadly, many of German origin are reluctant to learn of their history, due to a lack of media exposure that exemplifies the contributions that Germans have given to the world.

Unfortunately, many readers will form their opinions of Germany, based only on what they have available to them to read. The Germany that is represented on the book shelves, is not the Germany that I came to love, when I was posted there in the 1990’s.

Bookstores and libraries should follow the example of the Goethe Institute and the German Embassy’s www.germany.info campaigns and give their visitors a variety of material to learn about, and not only a couple of topics accentuating a difficult time in German history.

I do not know to what extent that the German Embassy engages book sellers, but perhaps there could be an initiative in which the German government could recommend or assist in putting books, with German subject matter, into distribution. I understand that this may be a far-fetched idea, but I believe without encouragement, the books that we find on shelves are going to represent only a small part of the overall German history. I don’t work in sales or the government, I am only an interested person, however, I am would be willing to help in any way possible to ensure that readers have access to all that Germany and its culture have to offer.

Kind Regards,

Matthew J Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment